Thursday, October 11, 2012

On becoming my mom...

As a child and teen, I was absolutely sure that I would never be my mom. Last week, I had a revelation. I AM more like my mom than I could have ever imagined. My disappointment is immense. Don't get me wrong, my mom is a pretty amazing woman, who has not had the easiest of lives, and yet she powers through the hardships always believing that life will be better. I don't mind that I mostly inherited her positive personality, in that way. It's the strange quirky behaviors that have me freaked out. The way I laugh at times. The way I walk. The way I have to set up my pillows and blankets "just so" each night before bed. Yes, multiple pillows AND blankets.

The Hubby absolutely needs the temperature set to 70 in order to sleep at night. That's too cold for this native Floridian, usually. So on my bed I have three blankets that I use. Three? Why three, you ask. Well, because at the ripe old age of 40, I've been experiencing severe hot flashes, I have to throw off the blankets one at a time as the hot flash builds and then pile them back on as it subsides. It's crazy I tell you. Meanwhile, the Hubby is blissfully sleeping away enjoying his 70 degrees.

Then there is the irritability, the sleeplessness, the pain. OH, why didn't I listen as a teen, when ALL the old people (and by old yes, I mean 35 and up, lol) would complain about the daily pain!?! Who can walk at this age without creaking and cracking and groaning? Especially first thing in the morning. It's like a slow motion movie as I make  my way to the coffee pot each morning, hoping and praying I didn't forget that I'd run out of  any of the crucial coffee making supplies the day before. Seriously, there is nothing sadder than grinding my coffee beans only to find that the filters are gone and there will be no coffee that morning. That's one lesson my mom has learned, I think...never run out of the filters. Maybe one day, I'll be more like my mom, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment