Sunday, July 22, 2012

Summer is Insane

So, for most people summer is all about the lazy days laying back at the pool or the beach but here in the Florida Sun, I've managed to make myself crazy trying to keep up with summer activities. Because we homeschool, I have a lot of control over the busyness during the "traditional" school year. To help with that busyness, we take a lot of time "off" for trips, activities and life. When the offspring were younger, we'd get quite a bit of school done during the insanely hot summer months because none of us cared to be out in heat.

NOW, however, those offspring are nearly grown and have lives of their own with multiple interests pulling in multiple directions. Camps and sports and programs and friends and movies and ....the lists go on. So less school work has gotten done, than planned. Sheesh...I always thought that the nice spacing of ~2.5 years between each of the offspring would be a benefit, and it was - when we were talking diapers and potty training and baby clothes. But now, not so much. One almost adult, one smack dab in the middle of the teen years and one who is very nearly a teen (and might as well be because almost everyone she hangs out with is a teen) makes for some real busyness.

This summer we've added travel softball for the youngest. It's been fascinating. She plays on a 14u because there were no open spaces on the 12u teams. She has had a fantastic time and hopes to stay with these girls as they all move up to 16u now that the 2012 travel season is over. That kinda freaks me out. She's only 11, but if they are willing to let her continue to play with their team and she's enjoying it (and improving her skills) then hubby and I think that she should continue with them.

As usual, we've continued with the musical theater program for the older girl offspring. She was so happy to be cast as the "heroine" of the Summer camp production. She does such a great job. At the end of camp, they announced the fall production. They'll be performing The Sound of Music. I'll be honest and say, this is not my favorite, lol. It does provide quite a number of parts, however, allowing for the largest number of students able to participate. 11yo has begged and pleaded to be allowed to participate, if we can work out the schedule I think that we will. She may have to miss a few rehearsals for games, but we'll do what we can to minimize that. So we'll probably have three "stars" this fall, lol.

The male offspring has grown and matured beyond belief. It's hard to imagine that he'll be an adult in just over a year. Hubby and I are trying very hard to be the kinds of parents that will allow him to mature and advance to adulthood in the healthiest way possible. We just are really sure what kind of parents those are, lol. We were both out of high school and in college at 17 and were making our own decisions, so we are kind of following that model for our own children. It worked out pretty good for us, I suppose, with a few bumps and bruises along the way. He'll begin dual enrollment at the local State College this fall. He is actually looking forward to that. (I was surprised.)

Personally, I'm overwhelmed with the idea of dual enrollment. I have to navigate the admissions process and I'm feeling a bit reticent to do so, lol. Unusual for me, as I'm not usually one to back off from a challenge, but age is catching up with me, I fear. LOL.  So, one more month of summer, wonder how it will turn out...how's summer in your neck of the woods?

2 comments:

  1. Hot! Beau's doing dual enrollment this fall, too. We'll have to compare notes!

    ReplyDelete